You may remember the amazing, eccentric, crazy, cool Aaron Alexander if you listened to my episode “Exogenous Ketones, Deuterium-Depleted Water, Near Vs. Far Infrared, Scorpion Stings & More! A Special Episode Recorded Live In Panama“…
…well today, Aaron’s back.
I recorded live with him at his pad in Southern California and after chilling in an ice bath, doing nitty-gritty breathwork, and getting up to all the other crazy tom-foolery biohacks at Aaron’s place, we recorded for you a nice little podcast. Among the topics of discussion were Aaron’s new book The Align Method: 5 Movement Principles for a Stronger Body, Sharper Mind, and Stress-Proof Life, which shows readers how posture and body alignment are powerful tools for building strength, achieving peak performance, reducing pain, and approaching the world with a new sense of confidence, and teaches you how to optimize activities such as:
- Floor Sitting
- Nose Breathing
- And much more…
Blending Eastern philosophy with Western mechanics, The Align Method outlines the necessary tools to leverage the power of your own senses and body language to feel more flexible and confident and details exactly how to reshape your environment for enhanced creativity and longevity.
In this discussion with Aaron, you’ll discover…
-What makes green tea special…4:58
-Natural biohacks that can be implemented for low or no cost…6:36
- Cold thermogenesis
- Activates the parasympathetic nervous system
- Nitric oxide release
- Humming/chanting increases nitric oxide production
- Activates the vagus nerve
- Inducing stress resilience prior to the stress of the cold treatment
- Sunlight exposure
- Metabolic flexibility is increased w/ sunlight exposure
- Increased HRV and good vagal nerve tone
- Vitamin D activation
- Cellular resistance
- When to choose tech over nature
- Bottom line: Nature is preferable, but there’s nothing wrong with choosing better living through science
-Ben Greenfield’s morning meditation routine…15:37
-Hunting zen and interdependence with our fellow man…21:43
- Innate instinct to provide, even with modern conveniences around us
- Book: A Paradise Built in Hell
- Interdependence is oft-neglected
- C.S. Lewis: We’re all spirits in human bodies w/ capability to go one way or the other
- Skin to skin contact releases oxytocin; results in greater success in war, athletics, etc.
- Don’t sacrifice interdependence for self-dependence (self-made man)
- Connections is the undying currency
-The two “mountains” in our lives…40:07
- Book: The Second Mountain: The Quest For a Moral Life
- Mountain 1: career, business, shelter, etc.
- Circumstances bring us into the valley, and realize Mountain 2
- Mountain 2: we discover interdependence, community, connection, etc.
- Mountain 1 is oftentimes a prerequisite to Mountain 2
- No regrets about the past; using experience to scale Mountain 2 when we arrive there
-Practices that build indomitable connectedness in your family…46:00
- Zero judgment zone
- See different parts of the other each time
- Deep connection reduces shame, increases vulnerability
- Eye-gazing during sex increases intimacy w/ your partner
- “You’re not raising your children, you’re raising your grandchildren”
- Traditions, practices at the dinner table, etc. are observed, learned and passed on to the next generation
- Encourage children to participate in your exercise routine, even if on a limited basis
- 55/38/7 principle of communication:
- 55% is based on body language
- 38% is vocal tonality
- 7% is the words we use
- Power of demonstration cannot be undervalued as a parent
-And much more…
Resources mentioned in this episode:
–The Kion Fasting Challenge: The Challenge starts January 6th, it’s completely FREE to join, and when you do you’ll get a bunch of exclusive content including access to a Q&A by yours truly answering all your burning fasting questions. To join just go to getkion.com/fasting
–Beekeeper’s Naturals: A wellness company specializing in innovative nutraceuticals made from healing hive compounds and plant-based ingredients. Get 15% off your order when you use discount code: BEN
–Policy Genius: Whether you’re an insurance expert or a newbie, Policygenius created a website that makes it easy for you to compare quotes, get advice, and get covered.
–Fresh Books: It’s cloud accounting software that basically does your invoicing for you and on top of that gets you paid 2x faster. Try it out for a free 30-day trial of FreshBooks right now. Just enter “The Ben Greenfield Fitness Podcast” in the how did you hear about us section.