Your DNA alone is worthless.
So claim my guests on today’s show, Dr. Matt Dawson and Dr. Mike Mallin of Wild Health, with locations in Versailles, KY and Bend, OR. I first interviewed these guys in the episode “How To Use Precision Medicine To Enhance Athletic Performance, Defy Aging, Balance Hormones, Fix The Heart & Much More.” and now they’re back to talk all things DNA and genetics.
Dr. Matt Dawson is a precision medicine physician in Lexington, KY, co-host of the Wild Health Podcast, and has been obsessed with performance optimization as long as he can remember. He received scholarships to play two sports in college even with “minimal talent” because of his voracious reading and implementation of any fitness or nutritional techniques that would give him an edge. Dr. Dawson continued that obsession in medical school, and as a physician, he has won national awards for education, innovation, and leadership. He has lectured in over 20 countries and trained thousands of other physicians through live lectures, online education, two textbooks, and an educational app.
Dr. Dawson combines his training in genomics and functional medicine to give personalized, precise medical guidance. His obsession with performance optimization has morphed from, initially athletic, to now mental performance and longevity. Whether it’s a professional athlete or a grandparent optimizing their mental clarity and mobility to keep up with their grandkids, Dr. Dawson is passionate about helping everyone perform at their absolute peak.
Dr. Mike Mallin is a physician in Bend, OR who is obsessed with health performance and precision medicine and is co-founder of the Wild Health Podcast. He completed medical school in South Carolina and trained in Emergency Medicine in Salt Lake City, UT where he competed in several ultramarathons and found his love for the mountains and performance.
Mike currently practices in Bend, OR and Lexington, KY in his precision medicine clinics. He is also co-founder of the Ultrasound Podcast, an educational podcast that has taught thousands of physicians all over the world how to use ultrasound.
During this discussion, you’ll discover:
-Why DNA data in and of itself is insufficient…6:30
- Epigenomics: Genomics taken in context of the whole person
- Get a sense of what a person’s genes are transcribing via lab values
- Understand how lifestyle and habits can affect specific genes (ex. PGC1A)
- Needed a simplified means of interpreting genetic results
- Falsehoods have been noted in DNA reports
- A comprehensive analysis includes lifestyle, preferences, microbiome, etc.
- DNA reports will occasionally translate RSID’s wrong
- Misreading data can lead to unhealthy lifestyle decisions
-What sets Drs. Dawson and Mallin’s new software apart from other DNA software…13:26
- Lifestyle and patient preferences factor heavily
- Microbiome data is important
- Looking for a more comprehensive picture of a patient than simple data
- Cholesterol levels, cardiovascular conditions, etc. are taken into account
-The results from the software thus far…18:11
- “Whole picture” approach allows for more accurate diagnoses and appropriate recommendations
- Cardiovascular risk down by over 50% in less than 6 months on average
- LP(a) decreases more than 2 years of statin treatment
- LDL-P down an average of 357 points per patient
- CRP down over 50% in patients who start off with it elevated
- Average HRV increase of 15 from genomic-based training programs
- All mostly without pharmaceuticals
-How Matt and Mike test for aging and their “gold standard” longevity protocol…23:32
- Get the basics right first: sleep, environment, exercise, sunlight, etc.
- Personalized: genomics, preference-based
- Get biological age first:
- True Age Test
- DNA Age Test
- Horvath Clock tests methylation in the body; telomere test results have been erratic
- Pulse press cycle is important
- Article: Growth hormone, DHEA, and metformin reversed aging
- Use peptides w/ caution; opt for natural treatments first
- Exercise protocols used during anabolic phase of treatment
- Dr. John Douillard’s Colorado Cleanse
- Dr. Valter Longo’s Prolon Kit
-NAD protocols used by Mike, Matt, and Ben…43:00
-Peptides used in the Wild Health practice…50:23
- Semax for neuro-cognitive strength
- Selank for anxiety
- Dihexa for neural optimization
- Zinc Thymulin
- Tailor Made triple (zinc, copper and minoxidil)
- BPC 157 and Thymosin Beta 500 for injury recovery
-Goings on at the Kentucky Castle…53:48
- Spa, float tank, cryotherapy, sauna on site
- Food and farming on site
- Organic garden
- Sheep and goats
- April 7-9 conference
- Ben will be speaking
- Teach how to apply what’s been discussed in this episode
- Open to the public, but focused on physicians and practitioners
-How Mike and Matt practice what they preach on an individual level…56:45
-And much more…
Resources from this episode:
– Wild Health MD website
–Kion: My personal playground for new supplement formulations, Kion blends ancestral wisdom with modern science. Ben Greenfield Fitness listeners, receive a 10% discount off your entire order when you use discount code: BGF10.
–Organifi Glow: A plant-based beverage that helps support the body’s natural ability to produce collagen, smooth fine lines and wrinkles, and protect the skin from sun exposure and toxins. Receive a 20% discount on your entire order when you use discount code: BENG20
–Beekeeper’s Naturals: A wellness company specializing in innovative nutraceuticals made from healing hive compounds and plant-based ingredients. Get 15% off your order when you use discount code: BEN
–Vuori: Activewear and athletic clothing for ultimate performance. Vuori is built to move and sweat in, yet designed with a West Coast aesthetic that transitions effortlessly into everyday life. Receive 25% off your first order when you use the link Vuoriclothing.com/Ben