I recently read Sound Medicine: How to Use the Ancient Science of Sound to Heal the Body and Mind. From a leading neurologist, neuroscientist, and practitioner of Ayurvedic medicine, it is a rigorous scientific investigation into the power of sound healing that shows readers how they can use it to improve their mental and physical wellbeing.
Why does a baby’s cry instantaneously flood a mother’s body with a myriad of stress hormones?
How can a song on the radio stir up powerful emotions, from joy to anger, regret to desire?
Why does sound itself evoke such primal and deeply felt emotions?
A vibration that travels through air, water, and solids, sound is produced by all matter and is a fundamental part of every species’ survival. But there is a hidden power within sound that has only just begun to be investigated. The book Sound Medicine takes you on a journey through the structure of the mouth, ears, and brain to understand how sound is translated from acoustic vibrations into meaningful neurological impulses.
Renowned neurologist, author of the book and Ayurvedic physician—and of course, my guest on today’s podcast—Dr. Kulreet Chaudhary studies how different types of sound impact the human body and brain uniquely, and explores the physiological effects of sound vibration, from altering mood to healing disease. Blending ancient wisdom with modern science, Dr. Chaudhary traces the history of sound therapy and the use of specific mantras from previously unknown texts—traced back to the Siddhas, a group of enlightened yogis who created a healing tradition that served as the precursor to Ayurvedic medicine—to explain the therapeutic application of sounds for a wide range of conditions.
During this show, you’ll get practical, step-by-step lessons for using music and mantras, whether you’re a beginner or searching for a more advanced practice, to improve your health in body, mind, and spirit.
Dr. Kulreet Chaudhary’s combined expertise in both modern neurology and the ancient science of health known as Ayurveda has uniquely positioned her as an expert able to pull from the broadest possible base to treat her clients. She is passionate about raising awareness for the need of a paradigm shift in contemporary medicine that focuses on patient empowerment and a health-based (rather than disease-based) medical system.
Dr. Chaudhary was the director of Wellspring Health in Scripps Memorial Hospital for ten years, and remains a pioneer in the field of Integrative Medicine. She has successfully developed a powerful system to manage chronic neurological disorders such as multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease, and migraine headaches by incorporating fundamental changes in diet, behavior, and stress—in addition to the standard allopathic approach to these issues. This program has been so successful that many patients now use it not just for neurological issues but also for a wider range of health concerns, including weight issues and chronic disease.
Dr. Chaudhary is also the author of The Prime and has appeared as a medical expert on numerous programs including The Dr. Oz Show and Home & Family, where her teachings about Ayurvedic medicine have been applauded by a national audience. She is also a neuroscientist and has participated in over 20 clinical research studies in the areas of multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, ALS, and diabetic peripheral neuropathy. Her research includes groundbreaking work in stem cell therapies for diabetic peripheral neuropathy and drug development for the treatment of ALS. To learn more about Dr. Chaudhary, visit her webpage here.
During this discussion, you’ll discover:
-Kulreet’s path to expertise in Ayurveda and sound healing…6:45
-How the skin can “hear” sound waves similar to how bones can…13:55
- The skin contains receptors that can detect vibrations
- We’re built to interact with sound on a cellular level
- Primary cilia quiver like tuning forks
- Strong human bias of what qualifies as “sound”
- Vibratory medicine will increase in popularity in the next few decades
- Safer and more effective than invasive surgeries
-Targeting cells or organs with specific hertz frequencies…18:49
- Cells have their own individual “songs”: a unique frequency that can be translated into audible sound
- Different cells associated with different tissues carry different primary resonant frequency
- Tissues have their own internal frequencies
- The primary resonant frequency, like, of a liver cell is its unique vocal fingerprint; unique to that particular tissue
- Theory: Exposing unhealthy tissue to its own primary resonant frequency can return it to its healthy state
- The same philosophy/science behind the ancient practices
- Sound therapy part of a treatment plan for physical and mental illness; incorporated into different therapies like diet/herbal recommendations, yoga, exercise…
- Ancient records in India describe the successful use of sound in treating cancer, paralysis, etc.
- Future research will be on how sound affects electromagnetic waves in the body and causing biochemical changes
- Tuning the Human Biofield by Eileen Day McKusick
-The biofield explained…29:40
- The term came from the National Institute of Health, originally coined by Dr. Beverly Rubik
- The biofield is a massless field; surrounds and permeates living bodies and affects their biology
- It refers to the parts of you that can’t be seen or felt, but affect the biochemistry
- Nature’s original “wireless communication system”
- Holding onto “old science” while “new science” is being proven to be correct
-Frequencies produced by medications…37:15
-Biological mechanisms behind the 7 Chakras…43:00
-Kulreet’s chakra mantras…48:30
- Holds resonant frequency for every major chakra in the body
- Repeat sounds out loud, then silently
- Dr. Chaudhary’s Chakra Mantra on iTunes
- People have reported physical changes when using the chakra mantra
- Don’t go longer than 20 minutes
- Equivalent to a physical shower every morning
-How to find physicians who practice sound healing…53:55
-And much more…
Resources from this episode:
– BGF podcasts:
- A Whole New Way To Deal With Stress, Trauma & PTSD In Just Seconds: The First Clinically Validated Wearable That Helps You De-Stress, Focus, Sleep, Stay Energized & Remain Calm with Dr. David Rabin.
- The Little-Known Healing Method Of Myorhythmic Release That Combines Sound, Movement, Breath & More with Porangui.
- How Sound Healing Works, Why Most Music Is At The Wrong Frequency, The Best Music For Sleep & Much More With Wholetones Composer Michael Tyrrell.
- The Renegade Pharmacist: How To Increase The Effects Of Psilocybin, The Secrets Of Colostrum, Fixing Constipation With Breathwork & More with Niraj Naik.
– Other resources:
–Kion: Shop Kion’s Halloween Sale to save 15% off sitewide, 25% off bundles, and 25% off your first month of a subscription! Use code HALLOWEEN at checkout.
–Joovv: After using the Joovv for close to 2 years, it’s the only light therapy device I’d ever recommend. Give it a try: you won’t be disappointed. Order your Joovv today and receive my book, Boundless, as a free gift.
–Beekeeper’s Naturals: A wellness company specializing in innovative nutraceuticals made from healing hive compounds and plant-based ingredients. Get 15% off your order when you use discount code BEN.
–Paleovalley Beef Sticks: 100% grass-fed AND grass-finished. Keto friendly and higher levels of Omega 3 Fatty Acids. Receive a 15% discount off your order when you use my link.