Aubrey Marcus and I have connected in the past on the podcasts:
Ben Greenfield on the Aubrey Marcus Podcast:
Today, we’re back recording straight from his home in Austin, Texas with a wide-ranging discussion of everything from Christianity to plant medicines to managing time and FOMO, family, and, of course, the age-old question of whether men should avoid sex or ejaculation if they don’t want to strip nutrients and energy from their body.
Aubrey Marcus is the founder of Onnit, a lifestyle brand based on a holistic health philosophy he calls Total Human Optimization. Onnit is an Inc. 500 company and an industry leader with products optimizing millions of lives, including many top professional athletes around the world.
Aubrey also currently hosts the Aubrey Marcus Podcast, a motivational destination for conversations with the brightest minds in athletics, business, mindset, and spirituality with over 35 million downloads on iTunes. He regularly provides commentary to outlets like Entrepreneur, Forbes, The Tim Ferriss Show, and The Joe Rogan Experience. He has been featured on the cover of Men’s Health, is the host of the Fit For Service Fellowship, and is the author of the NYT Bestselling book Own The Day, Own Your Life from HarperCollins.
If you ask Aubrey the cause he is most passionate about, it is raising awareness for psychedelic medicine, through organizations like MAPS.org and Heffter Institute. He is a 20 year native of Austin, Texas where he currently resides.
In this conversation with Aubrey Marcus, you’ll discover:
-Why Ben had imposter syndrome while writing the Boundless Cookbook…05:33
- Jessa is a really good cook; taught the twins how to cook at the age of four
- Made soufflés, ravioli, risotto…
- How Ben did a 150lb pig roast for Jessa’s 40th birthday; had 75 guests
- Explore molecular gastronomy, biohacking food with the Boundless Cookbook
- Ben now loves to cook; there is some kind of a party every day with the family
-Ben on his twin sons’ recent rites of passage…10:37
-How building a community changed the dynamics of living…14:40
- Jeanne Calment, supercentenarian, was known for her relationships, love and family
- Getting to know neighbors changed the dynamics of living in the community
- Hanging out with neighbors more fulfilling than sauna, meditation…
- Men form friendships around activities; women from social gatherings
- Community is one of the most important things people have
-Breathwork as one of the giveaways when meeting new people…25:17
-Core practices aside from exercise and biohacking that are built into Ben’s routine…27:12
-The challenge of managing and going through all the interesting activities…41:34
-Ben’s belief of living forever in a new heaven and a new earth…44:28
- It is the earth as it is now but perfect, where we can create, build, and do everything we were intended to do
- A pure and clean and a toxin-free environment
- Don’t Waste Your Life by John Piper
-Ben as a post-millennial Christian…49:05
- The belief that the world is getting better and better
- Tell everybody to slow down, enjoy life, build community, love others, and love the earth
- Dominion mandate is a call to be a gardener, to care for this planet
-Plant medicine in the Bible…53:17
-Fears, stress, and shame and encountering Christ and the cross…1:05:00
- Jesus sees us as who we are, with all our fears and shame
- All the deepest pains and shame anyone has experienced Jesus experienced
- The cross is a symbol of ultimate courage
- Cicero: Crucifixion is the cruelest and disgusting punishment
- The cross has become a symbol of the most glorious promise possible
-Living in your beliefs and living a rich life…1:11:21
- Living in your beliefs is deeply fulfilling
- Opportunity to turn this life into a heaven
- As Tim Ferris asked Aubrey on the Tim Ferriss show: “If you were to make a billboard, what would it say?”
- “Welcome to heaven, population: everyone”
- Take immense joy at the tiny creation made for the family
- Do not forget to savor God’s creation
- Balance between working to save the world and savor the world
-Different longevity practices and how to extend human life…1:18:45
-Does ejaculation frequency deplete magnesium and zinc and drain energy?…1:24:41
- Dadi Kit (use code BEN20 to save $20)
- Mineral depleted is maybe equivalent to minerals taken in a meal
-And much more!…
Resources mentioned in this episode:
– Aubrey Marcus:
– Podcasts And Articles:
- How To Go On A Vision Quest & Embark Upon A Rite Of Passage, with Tim Corcoran
- The Man Behind The Advanced Sleep Hacking Tactics Used By The World’s Most Elite Athletes, with Nick Littlehales
- A New, Drug-Free Biohack To Finely Tune Your Emotions, Sleep, Relaxation, Energy, Focus, Calm & More: The Hapbee With Scott Donnell.
- A Day In The Life Of Ben Greenfield: Ben’s Exact Morning, Afternoon & Evening Routines, with Will Ahmed.
- Are Christians Destroying The Environment? A Biblical Approach to Environmentalism and the “Dominion Mandate.”, with Dr. Gordon Wilson.
- The Renegade Breathing Mastermind Behind The Crazy Holotropic Breathing Protocol I Do In My Sauna (& Biohacking Breathwork, Best Foods For Breathhold Time & Much More!), with Niraj Naik.
- Sabbath Ramblings: Analog
- Sabbath Ramblings: How To Find Your Purpose In Life.
- Sabbath Ramblings: Sober
– Other Resources:
–JOOVV: After using the Joovv for close to 2 years, it’s the only light therapy device I’d ever recommend. Give it a try: you won’t be disappointed. For a limited time, Joovv wants to hook you up with an exclusive discount on your first order. Just apply code BEN to your qualifying order.
–Kion Aminos: Building blocks for muscle recovery, reduced cravings, better cognition, immunity, and more. BGF listeners save 20% off your first order at Kion with code BGF20.
–Thrive Market: Organic brands you love, for less. Your favorite organic food and products. Fast and free shipping to your doorstep. Receive a gift card worth up to $20 when you begin a new membership.
–Butcher Box: Delicious 100% grass-fed beef, free-range organic chicken, heritage-breed pork, and wild-caught seafood, all sourced from partners who believe in doing things the right way.
Got a question or comment about today’s episode? Leave it in the space below and I’ll reply!