When it comes to passing on important family values and beliefs to future generations, I firmly believe that family traditions are the powerful legacy-building tool in a parent’s toolbox.
Traditions, habits, rituals, and routines are the glue that sticks, the threads that bind, and the clasps that hold a family together through the best and worst of times.
As our family discussed in the recent podcast “The Official Greenfield Family Q&A Podcast: Parenting, Cooking, Traditions, Legacy-Building, Family Game Nights & More!,” we recently worked with the wonderful Rich Christiansen of Legado Family Founder, who specializes in helping families identify their core values, then create memorabilia, traditions, rituals, routines, and comings and goings all based around those values.
As a result, our family not only now has a “Greenfield Family Playbook” which is a guide that we can pass on to future generations in which all our values and traditions are listed, but we also have a family mission statement, a family crest being designed to hang above our fireplace, a family logo we can print on hats, shirts, mugs, and stickers, and even individual spirit animals and colors for each member of our family.
If you’re not already weaving traditions, rituals, routines, and an emphasis on legacy into your own family, I encourage you to do so, with or without the help of a professional. It’s been a transformative process that will impact the Greenfield family for generations. For more on the Greenfield family’s comings and goings, you can also check out GoGreenfields.com here!
To explore this topic in greater depth, I decided to interview Rich Christiansen for my podcast.
Rich Christiansen is a successful entrepreneur, best-selling author, humanitarian, mentor, and thought leader. In the business world, he has founded and co-founded 51 businesses which range from technology, SEO, imports/exports, real estate, online sales, innovative products, lead generation, and most recently, worm poop. He is the co-author of the book Bootstrap Business: A Step-By-Step Business Survival Guide, and author of the bestselling book, The Zigzag Principle. His third book, co-authored with his sons Alex and Tim, is called Even if Your Toes Turn Purple: Raising Teenagers that are Confident, Happy, and Stand Out.
Rich Christiansen helps families upgrade their relationships through a program consisting of five different modules that include detailed lessons and structures crafted carefully to enhance lasting ties and strengthen bonds. His Legado product revolutionizes the way families reconnect through sharing proven models, real-world experiences, valuable insight, and giving your family engaging activities for all age groups. Build Family Legacies provides the ultimate roadmap to building the best family legacy your family could ever imagine and no other brand can do it better.
Rich and his wife Gaye are the parents of five sons and a daughter they sponsor from Nepal. Together, they also share eight beautiful grandchildren. As a family, they enjoy exploring the outdoors together and always have their eyes set on big adventures.
During our discussion, you’ll discover:
-How the Legado business has evolved to its current form…09:18
- Rich became successful in business but didn’t want to spoil his children with the trappings of wealth
- A family friend pointed out (correctly) that his plan was going to do more harm than any good for his family legacy
- At that time, a lot of financial models existed but none that entrenched family values into the model
- Went on to create a model that centered on family values
-“Dark investments” and how wealth can decimate a family…13:45
- Unaware of the value of wealth and the hardships that go into acquiring it
- Quit producing value over time (entitlement mentality)
- Investment into “dark things” lowers the energy of the wealth
- Kids intentionally lose their fortune because it doesn’t serve their family well
- Balance in personal development and health
- You’re not raising your children, you’re raising your grandchildren
- Iroquoian nation 7 generation concept
- Know your values, both good and bad
-How to begin identifying family values…22:00
- What did your ancestors value?
- There may be “major” and “sub” values that fall under the “major”
- From these major values, one can begin crafting a family mission statement
-The basic model of the Legado platform…27:45
- Logos, symbols, colors, crest
- Life-defining events
- Put it all together
-Rites of passage and assisting children to “come of age” when they’re ready…38:03
- “8 is great” date with children
- Deliberate, intentional, no fear
- Eight years is when children are beginning to think about “adult” things
- Canopy app
- Age 12: a non-entitlement trip to a third-world country
- Age 14: climb a major world mountain peak
- Twin Eagles Wilderness School
- BGF podcast with Tim Corcoran:
- Age 16: accountability for their future
-How to foster an entrepreneurial and self-sufficient spirit in children…48:44
- They each built a million-dollar business while in high school, paid for their college, etc.
- How to tie a tie website
- Jar concept taught from an early age
- GoGreenfields show
- Gap year between high school and college
- 18 years old: shut down business, serve humanity in a very meaningful way
- “Kill” the father in a beautiful way
- Each generation becomes more impactful
-An apology blended with a charter…55:34
- Children spend two days in a high-security prison
- “It’s your responsibility to fix the mess my generation created”
-Key traditions Rich recommends…1:04:07
- Frequent cadence that brings comfort
- Take an interest in what your kids are doing
- Have a family logo
-And much more…
Resources from this episode:
– Rich Christiansen:
– Other Resources:
–JOOVV: After using the Joovv for close to 2 years, it’s the only light therapy device I’d ever recommend. Give it a try: you won’t be disappointed. For a limited time, Joovv wants to hook you up with an exclusive discount on your first order. Just apply code BEN to your qualifying order.
–HigherDOSE: Get your own Infrared Sauna Blanket or Infrared PEMF Mat at HigherDOSE.com today and use my exclusive Promo Code BEN at check out to save 15% off!
–Kion Aminos: Building blocks for muscle recovery, reduced cravings, better cognition, immunity, and more.
Do you have questions, thoughts, or feedback for Rich Christiansen or me? Leave your comments below and one of us will reply!