At 70 years young, Dr. Steven Gundry feels and exudes more energy than he did at 40. In this episode of Bulletproof Radio, we’ll talk about how you can make sure you feel the same.
Dr. Gundry explains seven deadly energy disruptors that surround us in his new book, “The Energy Paradox: What to Do When Your Get-Up-and-Go Has Got Up and Gone.”
“The walking well have become proficient at shouldering a pretty heavy pack of fatigue,” he says in his book. “And it’s taking a toll on multiple fronts—from their personal contentment and fulfilment, to their ability to show up fully in relationships, to their ability to work.”
Things like glyphosate, fructose and environmental pollutants often lead to a leaky gut, mitochondrial gridlock and an epidemic of fatigue. That means greater inflammation and less energy from the places we need it most, like our brain and muscles.
“We literally are overfed and underpowered,” Dr. Gundry says. “We’ve been told, and you see it on commercials every day, that you need this energy drink or you need a 30-gram protein drink to get your energy up to take on the day. They literally clog the fuel line and that’s our big paradox.
We go into these energy disruptors in our conversation that covers the “epidemic” of fatigue and low energy that we often take as a given in our busy day-to-day lives. Today’s episode will give you actionable tips on how to get some of that energy back into your life.
“We think that this is something because of our stressful existence or our hard work is just something underlying that we have to deal with or overcome,” Dr. Gundry says. “And it’s absolutely not the case at all.”
As a practicing cardiologist and retired cardiothoracic surgeon, Dr. Gundry has become a major voice in the world of food toxins and what they do to us. He teaches people how to eat, guiding them on how to get ahead of the problem, not just fixing it after the fact.
He’s published more than 300 articles in peer-reviewed journals on using diet and supplements to eliminate heart disease, diabetes, autoimmune disease, and multiple other diseases. He’s also the best-selling author of “The Plant Paradox” and “The Longevity Paradox” books.
Enjoy! And get more resources at Dave.Asprey/podcasts.
Got a comment, idea or question for the podcast? Submit via this form
WANT TO UPGRADE YOURSELF EVEN MORE?
Learn directly from Dave Asprey in his new membership group https://ourupgradecollective.com.
Follow Along with the Transcript
Book: The Energy Paradox: What to Do When Your Get-Up-and-Go Has Got Up and Gone
- Dr. Gundry, author of The Plant Paradox and The Longevity Paradox. Dr. Gundry, you’re coming back on the show to talk about your new book, The Energy Paradox. – 1:04
- Tell me why you wanted to write a book about energy? – 2:38
- Give me the two sentence what’s going on with this. Like, why are we low energy? – 5:51
- We’ve produced mitochondrial gridlock which never would have occurred in our grandparents’ age when everybody ate whole foods. – 8:40
- One of the most common markers of inflammation is called C-reactive protein, and it’s abbreviated CRP. I call it crap because if your CRP is elevated, quite frankly you will feel like crap. – 11:58
- When you have leaky gut, quite frankly, you have leaky brain, and your brain becomes on high alert – 15:13
- I’ve written a couple of papers about Lp-PLA2. It’s actually a tractor beam that pulls cholesterol into the endothelium, and I tell people it’s literally a Star Wars tractor beam. – 17:37
- And I go, “You know, I’ve got to agree with your doctor. It’s all in your head.” And they go, “What?” And I say, “Yeah, we can actually see the inflammation in your head. You’re not making this up. Yeah, it’s there.” – 20:01
- We are overwhelmed with these energy sources, refined energy sources that in fact don’t get converted into energy. They literally clog the fuel line and that’s our big paradox. We are overfed and underpowered. – 21:37
- I tell my patients, you really think we crawled out of our cave and said, “What’s for breakfast?” There wasn’t any breakfast. We had to find it and break fast was when we found food. – 23:51
- They’re eating a lot of fruit which is, unfortunately, now bred for sugar content. And they have low testosterone. There’s no doubt about it. – 25:26
- In the Energy Paradox is you say, adrenal fatigue is not the cause. And I’m very interested in your thoughts on this. – 28:31
- I talk about with the seven deadly energy disruptors, glyphosate is number two on the list, right behind broad-spectrum antibiotics. – 31:41
- Fructose is a very funny sugar. It’s absorbed directly from our intestines, not into our blood stream, but makes a beeline directly into our liver via the portal vein. And there, it actually stops ATP production. It blunts ADP from turning into ATP. – 36:26
- One of the really exciting things in The Energy Paradox is that melatonin is probably the best mitochondrial antioxidant there is. – 48:15
- We’ve hit on six of the seven energy blockers from The Energy Paradox. What’s number seven? – 51:48
- In Canada, it’s against the law to give someone a statin drug without prescribing coenzyme Q10. But most cardiologists in the United States don’t know that connection. – 55:03
- In The Longevity Paradox, and in this book, I ask people, “Please, please, please, stop eating for three hours before you go to bed. Please.”- 58:51
- 80-something percent of people have metabolic dysfunction, 42% are obese in the US. – 59:58
- I’m now in my seventh decade, and I work seven-days a week. I see patients six days a week, including on the weekends. I’m at Gundry MD on Fridays every week. And if I’m an example I clearly got more energy now than I did when I was 40-years-old. – 1:01:52
- If you were to name the single one supplement that would be at the very top of your list, if you’re going to take one, I know what my answer is, but I’m curious what yours would be. – 1:04:31
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at Bulletproof.com/apple and leave us a (hopefully) 5-star rating and a creative review.
Go check out my new book “Super Human: The Bulletproof Plan to Age Backward and Maybe Even Live Forever“ and also “Game Changers“, “Headstrong” and “The Bulletproof Diet” on Amazon and consider leaving a review!
Want to help others reach their full potential? Check out the incredible Human Potential Coach Training program I set up with Dr. Mark Atkinson.