Is juicing healthy? I’ll admit, I’ve never been much of a fan of it, or the whole “cold-pressed juice” trend for that matter.
Most of these popular juices are full of oodles of sugar that basically mainline fructose into your bloodstream with very little of the actual fiber and water you’d find in whole fruit.
Most are extremely overpriced compared to what you could make at home, yet what you can make at home creates a huge mess and cleanup situation. (Anybody else ever tried to clean a juicer daily and had to deal with all the pulp and waste all over the kitchen counter?)
Furthermore, the actual source of most of the produce used in the juices is subpar fruit and vegetables grown in degraded, mineral-depleted soil and/or contains GMO ingredients, pesticides, herbicides, and other additives; and if they *don’t* have preservatives, they go bad super quickly in your fridge, hence destroying all your hard-earned juice.
Anyways, you can learn more about some of the problems with most cold-pressed juices in my article “Why Most Juices Are Sugar-Bombs Loaded With Toxins That Spoil Faster Than You Can Drink Them (& What You Can Do About It).”
In the past, my solution for this has been to use a good organic vegetable juice powder, such as the one made by my friends at Organifi. Yet, recently, I’ve begun drinking actual liquid juices again, as have my wife and kids.
We’re talking flavors like:
- Athletic Greens (cucumber, celery, lemon, ginger, turmeric, basil, mint, dandelion greens, maca)
- Digestive Greens (cucumber, dino kale, ginger, lemon, turmeric, basil, mint, apple cider vinegar)
- Focus Greens (cucumber, basil, mint, ginger, lemon, turmeric, lime, matcha)
- Peaceful Greens (cucumber, basil, mint, ginger, turmeric, lemon, ashwagandha)
- Performance Greens (cucumber, celery, lemon, ginger, turmeric, basil, mint, lion’s mane)
- Ginger Immunity (apple, lemon, ginger, turmeric, cayenne pepper, black peppercorn)
- Up-Beet Immunity (lemon, apple, pineapple, ginger, turmeric, cayenne pepper, black peppercorn, beet)
- Gut Feeling Good (apple, coconut water, jicama, apple cider vinegar, ginger, lemon)
- Green Fuel (cucumber, kale, celery, spinach, lime, ginger, apple, lemon)
- Focus Fuel (apple, fennel, lemon, lemongrass, jalapeno, matcha)
- Athletic Aid (coconut water, orange, turmeric, lemon, ginger, black pepper)
- Carrot Digest (carrot, jicama, lemon, ginger, turmeric)
- Earthy Roots (carrot, orange, apple, pineapple, beet)
- Turmeric Energy (apple, lemon, ginger, turmeric, cayenne)
- Orange Immunity (oranges, ginger)
- Immunity Strength (pineapple, ginger, lemon, cayenne pepper)
- Ginger Renewal (extra ginger, apple, lemon turmeric, cayenne pepper, black peppercorn)
My change in perspective occurred after a phone call I had with my friend Junaid Kalmadi, who recently sent me some of his juices to try. Junaid is a values-driven serial entrepreneur motivated by love, service, and positive impact. He is the founder and CEO of Farmers Juice (get $5 off any order with code BEN). They deliver organic, cold-pressed juices and wellness shots at nearly half the cost of a juice shop. Each juice has 1 to 1.5 lbs. of produce (like dino kale, cucumber, ginger, turmeric, celery, mint, basil, and more).
Farmers Juice has also developed the world’s first keto-friendly and functional green juice line. They include adaptogens, antioxidants, and mushrooms to boost focus, calm, and athletic performance. Most juices lose their nutrients almost immediately and expire within two to three days. Farmers Juice uses an innovative technique called high-pressure processing (HPP) that preserves juice using cold pressure instead of heat. As a result, their juices keep their nutrient value for 30 days—without preservatives or other junk.
All of their produce sourcing is from family farms based in California. So when you drink Farmers Juice, you support the farmers who actually make our soil better, not worse. Most juice shops charge $10-12 for an organic cold-pressed juice. By working directly with local farms, Farmers Juice has created the most affordable organic juices at $5.99 a bottle. Their mission is to make the highest quality cold-pressed juices affordable, support the human rights of 2.4 million farmers in the US, and champion the next generation of farming with regenerative agriculture.
Prior to Farmers Juice, Junaid founded Brain.fm, a music neuroscience company. Funded by a US federal government research and used by the USA Olympic Wrestling team, Brain.fm designs music to improve focus, relaxation, and sleep. Available as an app on iOS and Android, the app serves millions of people around the world. Junaid resides in Los Angeles, where he enjoys meditation, prayer, beach swimming, volunteering, community fire chats, and nature adventures.
During this discussion, you’ll discover:
-Is juicing healthy, and what exactly is a cold-pressed juice? 8:45
- Two elements: the juice and the solid (pulp)
- 70-95% of a vegetable is liquid and juice
- The juice contains many micronutrients
- Cold-pressed juice takes around two pounds of produce, separates the liquid from the solid
- Cold is important to preserve nutrient integrity
- The result is all the goodness of the juice, and the jolt of micronutrients, vitamins, minerals
- 1.5 pounds of veggies is around five full plates of salad
- No fruits used as sweeteners with Farmers Juices
- 9-11 g of carbs in each juice
- Ben does not experience spikes in blood sugar levels after drinking the juices
- Tracking blood sugar levels with a CGM
- HPP: Introduces cold water and high pressure neutralizes all negative bacteria and pathogens that degrade the juice for up to 30 days
- Harvest to HPP on the same day; no trucking
-How Junaid maintains optimal quality for his juices…17:45
- High-quality soil, only organic produce used
- High-quality water
- USDA organic standards are followed (no pesticides)
- Promote biodiversity
- Facilities are located near farms where the produce is harvested
- Work with the plants’ life cycles
- “Ugly” produce is used as it’s still high in nutrient density
- Instead of going to waste, like compost. Low-value use of high quality produce, a lot of the non-aesthetic produce that would not sell just because it doesn’t look good is used for juicing
- Eating on the Wild Side by Jo Robinson
- “Ugly,” misshapen produce tends to have higher antioxidant content
-Why soil is the key factor in a high-quality juice…22:23
-Links between nutrient deficiency and poor mental health…30:15
- Junaid’s mother put a great deal of care into the meals she prepared
- In college, he began to experience depression and anxiety
- Cognitive decline led to poor grades, no success in job interviews
- Felt bankrupt on the inside seven years after becoming an entrepreneur
- Took six months off to focus on becoming a healthy human
- Came upon a juice shop in Austin, TX, and custom-made ketogenic juices every day
- Felt an instant jolt inwardly and physically
-How flavors of juice are selected…35:35
- First five seconds after tasting is the best tell
- Constant feedback from customers
- Focus Fuel shot Ben mentioned
- With apple, fennel, lemon, lemongrass, jalapeno, and matcha
-Materials used for bottling…38:30
- 100% recycled materials used
- Encourage customers to recycle/reuse bottles
- Whether the juices can be frozen before drinking
- Where Farmers Juice delivers
-Advice on juice fasting…42:15
-Effects of juicing on the microbiome…45:00
-Dangers of non-organic farming and produce…
-How to get Farmers Juice for yourself…57:40
-And much more!
Resources from this episode:
– Other resources:
–Kion: My personal playground for new supplement formulations, Kion blends ancestral wisdom with modern science. Ben Greenfield Fitness listeners, save 20% off your first order with code BGF20.
–JOOVV: After using the JOOVV for close to 2 years, it’s the only light therapy device I’d ever recommend. Give it a try: you won’t be disappointed. For a limited time, JOOVV wants to hook you up with an exclusive discount on your first order. Just apply code BEN to your qualifying order.
–Thrive Market: Organic brands you love, for less. Your favorite organic food and products. Fast and free shipping to your doorstep. Receive a gift card worth up to $20 when you begin a new membership.
–Vuori: Activewear and athletic clothing for ultimate performance. Vuori is built to move and sweat in, yet designed with a West Coast aesthetic that transitions effortlessly into everyday life. Receive 25% off your first order when you use discount code BEN2020.