River and Terran Greenfield are my twin 12-year-old sons. They are unschooled, hyper-creative, can survive in the wilderness with a knife, backpack, and wool blanket, know more kitchen and cooking tricks than most adults (and have an amazing cooking podcast), and they are generally crushing life.
So, in this very special episode, I put my twin boys in the podcasting hot seat to discuss life, creativity, cooking, healthy eating for kids, fitness, and much more.
During this discussion, you’ll discover:
-Best breakfast to crush the day…4:40
-How to tell River and Terran apart, especially on audio…6:50
- The twins address each other by name…
-Books River and Terran like to read…8:15
-Unschooling and becoming self-directed learners…19:04
- Essay by Naval Ravikant that Ben mentions on the 5 core skills needed for life
- Writing (long-form)
- Logic and/or computer programming
- Poor Charlie’s Almanack by Charlie Munger
- Mathnasium program River and Terran use for their schooling
- Unschooling allows learning how the world works alongside the subjects being learned (math, logic, etc.)
- Advantages of AI and robots outweigh the negatives (skills becoming obsolete)
- Rhetoric game (board or the app)
- Tell ’em what you’re gonna tell ’em; then tell ’em; then tell ’em what you told ’em
-A typical evening in the Greenfield home…35:00
-An average day for River and Terran…37:35
- Feed rabbits, play a game, play piano, work out, shoot bow
- More scheduled or structured play/learning ’til 3-5 pm
- Is life school, or is school life?
- Podcasts on Unschooling:
- Journal on daily activities
- St. Andrews College in Moscow, ID
- Liberal arts studies is a good way to get a well-rounded education
-Favorites things River and Terran do for their fitness…44:30
-River and Terran’s diet tips…50:45
-Whether or not there exists a perfect diet all humans should follow…54:40
- Mediterranean diet seems more agreeable than other diets
- Eating with people, long family dinners
- Making your own food helps you appreciate it more
- Easy to overeat from packages vs. food prepared yourself
-River and Terran’s views on screen time and video games…57:00
- They both have an iPod Touch, which is for business purposes (podcast)
- Computer used mostly for school
-About the GoGreenfields cooking podcast…59:15
- Started 4+ years ago
- Began learning to cook at age of 3 (made mom eggs for Mother’s Day)
- The Four Hour Chef by Tim Ferris
- Eggs are a great starting point for learning to cook
- Favorite recipes:
- Top baking tip from Terran: Don’t overcook; don’t rely on looks to determine if it’s done
- Top risotto tip from River: Keep stirring, pay attention constantly
- Top tip from the chef: Don’t add too many seasonings; keep it simple
- Clean up as you go
- Pay attention to recipes
-Tips on hunting and plant foraging…1:09:30
- Do it a lot at home to appreciate the diversity in other locales
- Bowhunting is more natural and dependent on physicality than hunting with a rifle
-How to care for yourself spiritually…1:12:45
-River and Terran’s own life purposes…1:15:30
- “To make the love and joy of God through writing and art”
- “To use my art to make people feel strong emotions”
-River and Terran’s take on 2020 with COVID-19, lockdowns, masks, etc…1:16:35
- They enjoy seeing dad more
- Different reactions with kids vs. adults
-One thing River and Terran think everyone should know or experience…1:19:40
-And much more!
Resources from this episode:
– River and Terran’s podcast GoGreenfields
– Podcasts and articles:
- How A Steady Diet Of Standard Education Is Choking The Creativity, Health & Fitness Out Of Our Kids And What You Can Do About It, With Ben Hewitt
- The Ultimate Guide To Unschooling: Top Tips To Create Free-Thinking, Resilient, Creative Young Humans Who Can Thrive In A Modern World, With Judy Arnall
- The Renegade Pharmacist: How To Increase The Effects Of Psilocybin, The Secrets Of Colostrum, Fixing Constipation With Breathwork & More, With Niraj Naik.
- Why College Sucks (& Better Alternatives), How To Win At Any Game, What You Need To Say No To, & Much More With James Altucher.
- How To Blast You (And Your Child’s!) Physical, Mental, & Spiritual Resilience Through The Roof With Breathwork.
– Books, graphic novels, and games:
– Food and supplements:
– Other resources:
–The Kion Fasting Challenge: The Challenge starts January 11th, it’s completely FREE to join, and when you do you’ll get a bunch of exclusive content including access to Fasting Decoded, your ultimate guide to fasting. To join just click this link.
–Organifi Green Juice: Now you can get all your healthy superfoods in one glass…with No Shopping, No Blending, No Juicing, and No Cleanup. Get a 20% discount on your entire order when you use discount code BENG20.
–Lucy Nicotine Gum: If you are looking for a cleaner and tastier alternative to other nicotine products, then this product is for you. The gum comes in three flavors – Wintergreen, Cinnamon, and Pomegranate – and the lozenges in cherry ice. To save 20% on any order, just use discount code BEN20.
–Water and Wellness: The best solution for clean and safe drinking water. Water and Wellness also offers an amazing line of essential water additives such as Quinton Marine plasma, which contains over 78 trace minerals and elements from the ocean to help restore your biological-terrain. Get 15% off your order when you use discount code GREENFIELD.
Do you have questions, thoughts, or feedback for River Greenfield, Terran Greenfield, or me? Leave your comments below and one of us will reply!