Looking for a Southern-style side dish that takes soul food to a much healthier level? This Southern collard greens recipe keeps the carbohydrates low and the flavors high with ingredients you can easily find in your local grocery store like chicken broth, garlic cloves, apple cider vinegar and your favorite low-carb hot sauce.
Whether you grew up in the South cooking collard greens for Sunday family dinner or it’s your first time making this classic BBQ accompaniment, you’ll be surprised at how little prep time it takes to turn fresh collard greens into something truly special.
Southern cooking is all about building layers of flavor and putting lots of love into whatever’s bubbling away in your stockpot. While you’ll traditionally find ham hocks in Southern-style collard greens, not all recipes rely on that part of the pig. Kick the texture factor up a notch by browning diced bacon (we prefer organic) over medium-high heat until it achieves crispy perfection. Just remember to set those bits aside for later!
As for the star of the show? The total time it takes to cook collard greens depends on your preference. Prefer a tender, melt-in-your-mouth texture? Let your greens saute away in chicken stock for a few extra minutes. If you like a tougher texture, take them off the heat sooner.
That’s the great thing about this Southern collard greens recipe; it’s incredibly easy to tweak things. Want more spice? Try using mustard greens or turnip greens for a peppery bite. Plus, you can add onion, red pepper flakes, black pepper and paprika for even more depth of flavor.
This satisfying side dish pairs perfectly with proteins like smoked turkey wings, pork chops or anything else you cook up during grilling season or even via Instant Pot. Get ready to enjoy a true Southern-style meal that’ll leave even the most experienced soul food lovers speechless!
Southern-Style Collard Greens
Start to Finish: 25
- 1 1/2 lbs. organic collard greens with stems removed and leaves thinly sliced (approximately 6-7 cups, sliced)
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 4-5 chemical-free, organic or pasture-raised bacon rashers, diced
- 2 Tbsp. Bulletproof Grass-Fed Ghee
- 4-6 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup homemade chicken bone broth
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. Bulletproof-friendly hot sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Bulletproof Brain Octane C8 MCT Oil
- Fry bacon until golden and crispy.
- Remove bacon and set aside for garnishing.
- Add the collard greens to the pan with the ghee, garlic, salt and bone broth and place the lid on top. Cook for a few minutes, give the mixture a stir and place the lid back on.
- When the greens are cooked to your liking, add apple cider vinegar and hot sauce, to taste.
- Top your tasty Southern collard greens with crumbles of crispy bacon, sliced scallions and a drizzle of Brain Octane Oil for an extra dose of quality fats!
Nutritional Information (1 serving):
- Calories: 307
- Fat: 28.1g
- Saturated Fat: 12.2g
- Cholesterol: 34mg
- Salt: 556mg
- Carbs: 8.6g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Sugar: 1g
- Protein: 7.3g
Want more recipes?
Subscribe to our Recipe Lab newsletter where deliciousness is delivered to your inbox every week!