Perfect for Sunday brunch or a healthy weeknight dinner, this green shakshuka recipe will take your taste buds on a tour through the Middle East and North Africa—no passport required. Plus, it doesn’t require much cook time (or prep time) to create a flavorful dish that contains fresh veggies, quality fats and minimal carbohydrates.
Although shakshuka originates from North African and Middle Eastern cultures, it’s easy to see why it’s become more popular across the world. Traditional spices like ground cumin, smoked paprika and cayenne pepper add incredible depth to a rich tomato sauce that often includes bell peppers, crushed tomatoes, olive oil and yellow onions. However, you can enjoy our green version sans nightshades, for those who have sensitivities.
You can put a healthier spin on this classic egg dish by learning how to make shakshuka right from the comfort of your own home. Best of all? The only cooking vessel you’ll need is a cast iron pan capable of holding all your yummy ingredients together!
The key is about building layers of flavor. Coat your favorite cast iron skillet with some melted Bulletproof Grass-Fed Ghee and watch your diced zucchini sautée to tender perfection right before your eyes. The addition of chopped garlic cloves and nutrient-dense greens kicks things up a notch, too.
Then, it’s time to make room for five large eggs (six, if you’re feeling extra hungry!). Once you’ve cracked each one carefully into its well, the total time it takes to finish preparing this Mediterranean classic depends entirely on you. Take it off the stovetop a little early if you want to scoop up runny yolks with a toasted slice of your favorite low-carb bread. Otherwise, let the medium heat do its thing until the eggs are cooked to your liking.
When it’s time to serve up a portion of this Moroccan-inspired shakshuka recipe, garnish with fresh cilantro, a dash of kosher salt and some red pepper flakes—if you aren’t afraid of some heat. Finally, sliced avocado serves as another source of quality fats that also makes for a visually stunning finish!
Green Shakshuka Recipe
Start to Finish: 20
- 3-4 Tbsp. Bulletproof Grass-Fed Ghee
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 bunch of chard or silverbeet, de-stemmed and chopped
- 5-6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped
- 1 large avocado, sliced for garnish
- Heat 1-2 Tbsp. ghee in a frying pan on medium heat.
- Add the diced zucchini and cook until it has some color.
- Add 2 Tbsp. ghee into the pan to melt along with the garlic, chopped greens and salt. Cover with lid and allow everything to steam for a few minutes.
- Give the mix a good stir. When the greens have softened, flatten the mixture with a spatula and create 5-6 small wells.
- Crack the eggs into each well and cook until they are done to your liking. (Hint: Use the lid to create steam and speed up the process!)
- Sprinkle fresh herbs on top, garnish with sliced avocado and add extra salt, if desired.
- Serve up a portion of this green shakshuka recipe, dig in and enjoy!
Nutritional Information (1 serving):
- Calories: 149
- Fat: 13.2g
- Saturated Fat: 7.2g
- Cholesterol: 80mg
- Salt: 474mg
- Carbs: 6.7g
- Fiber: 2.2g
- Sugar: 1.7g
- Protein: 4g
Want more recipes?
Subscribe to our Recipe Lab newsletter where deliciousness is delivered to your inbox every week!