In this episode of Bulletproof Radio, I asked Rachel Hollis to come on the show today to talk about the new book she wrote during the pandemic. “Didn’t See That Coming: Putting Life Back Together When Your World Falls Apart” captures the pain of the past year and offers ways to look at the lessons and growth, then move through it to something new.
“2020… what a year, right?” Rachel says. “It’s been so freaking hard for so many people, but even in the hardship, there’s beauty. We’ve seen humans doing incredible things, and our essential workers, and our healthcare workers and people are so inspiring. We’ve had more time to connect with our families, and just all of these things.”
Rachel is one of the most sought-after speakers, plays host to one of today’s top business podcasts, and uses her platform to empower and embolden women around the world. She laid the foundation for her lifestyle brand and media company with the same unfiltered honesty and staunch inclusivity that made her a New York Times bestselling author of “Girl, Wash Your Face” and “Girl, Stop Apologizing.” In both, she shared her most personal stories.
“The reality is that every new level you get to, there’s an old expression in church that says, new levels, new devils, so every level that you get to, you’re going to encounter new hardships,” she says.
“The first thing is you have to be honest about what actually is happening, not what you are telling yourself is happening, because when I think of the question of, everything feels hard, for me, what I want to follow that up with is, is everything hard, or does everything feel hard?” Rachel says. “Those are two completely different things.”
We talk about all the ways you are so much more than the trauma you are living in, whatever that trauma might be. You can let go of guilt, hack your courage and show up for yourself, your family and your community. You can choose joy even when life sucks.
Enjoy! And get more resources at Dave.Asprey/podcasts
WE APPRECIATE OUR PARTNERS. CHECK THEM OUT!
Light Therapy: https://joovv.com/pages/dave-asprey; use code DAVE
Fitness Tech: https://www.fitbit.com/global/us/home; six FREE months of Fitbit Premium with the purchase of a Fitbit Sense
SEO Skills: https://www.stephanspencer.com; use code DAVE for a special discount
Follow Along with the Transcript
Book: “Didn’t See That Coming: Putting Life Back Together When Your World Falls Apart”
- Rachel’s story behind her book title ‘Girl wash your face’. – 2:16
- Create rituals and habits that are so consistent in your life that you don’t need the motivation to do the things that you need to do. – 6:22
- I’m telling you what worked for me, and I’m telling you my process for how I got there, so that even if what worked for me doesn’t work for you, maybe by me explaining my process, you can figure out your own. – 7:37
- There’s an old expression in church that says, new levels, new devils, so every level that you get to, you’re going to encounter new hardships. – 11:45
- Much of my entrepreneurial experience, it was sort of feast or famine. – 14:29
- A core value in my life and a core value of our company is servant leadership, is this idea that you care as much, if not more, about the people in your stewardship or in your responsibility or in your sphere as you do about yourself. – 16:13
- I have a lot of experience with dealing with anxiety, grief, crisis, loss, and so could I take sort of my learnings and put them into a book. – 23:28
- Harassing people on Instagram isn’t going to do jack, but you get to make yourself feel like you’re part of some movement because you’re all worked up. Man, go volunteer. Go show up.– 29:53
- “Your first thought is what the world told you to believe, and your second thought is who you actually are.” – 30:42
- The importance of journaling. grab a pen, grab a piece of paper or a notebook, and just use this prompt: everything feels hard because, and just start going. – 35:57
- How do you get out of wallowing and not fall into that trap? – 39:34
- I live in a constant state of asking for help. I stopped trying to be Superwoman a long time ago.– 44:04
- How many companies will never get invented, non-profits will never be started? Products that we would love, books we would love, podcasts we want to listen to will never be created because women are so tied up in second guessing themselves. – 50:22
- My biggest focus in life is all to live in such a way that my brain can operate at the highest level. That’s it.– 52:37
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at Bulletproof.com/apple and leave us a (hopefully) 5-star rating and a creative review.
Go check out my new book “Super Human: The Bulletproof Plan to Age Backward and Maybe Even Live Forever“ and also “Game Changers“, “Headstrong” and “The Bulletproof Diet” on Amazon and consider leaving a review!
Want to help others reach their full potential? Check out the incredible Human Potential Coach Training program I set up with Dr. Mark Atkinson.